August 7, 2017 Afshan, Sumera
Education and Training
|Master of Philosophy (M.Phil)||Dow University of Health Sciences, Karachi, Pakistan||2011|
|Diploma in Tuberculosis & Chest Diseases (D.T.C.D)||Dow University of Health Sciences, Karachi, Pakistan||2006|
|M.B.B.S||Sindh University, Jamshoro, Pakistan||1995|
- Stem Cells
- Beta Thalassemia trait detection in microcytic hypochromic anemia, Dow University of Health Sciences, Pakistan, Internal grant, 2009-2010- Principal Researcher
- Pathogenesis of ineffective erythropoiesis in ?-thalassaemia, 2014 by International Medical University, Malaysia.
- Backwash effect in Medical students, 2013 by International Medical University, Malaysia.
- Student preparedness, Medical education project, 2013 by International Medical University, Malaysia.
- Screening tests for differentiation of ?-thalassaemia minor from microcytic hypochromic anaemia, 2010, by Dow University of Health Sciences, Pakistan.
Supervision of Postgraduates (MSc/PhD)
(Last 5 years – 2012-2017)
- Pakistan Association of Pathologists.
- Pakistan society of Hematology.
- Pakistan medical & Dental Council (PM & DC)
- Editorial board member, Journal of Nutrition and Health, Avens publishing group, USA.
- Editorial member, Signpost Open Access Journal of Pathobiology and Toxicology (Publishing company: Research Signpost.
- Advisory Board member, Young Researchers of Biosciences (YRBS).
(last 5 years – 2012 -2017)
- Cochrane review- Management of fertility and pregnancy in people with thalassemia intermedia and major. Afshan Sumera, Ruchita Dixit et al. 2015, Submitted for editorial review.
- An update on new vaccines for Tuberculosis. Afshan Sumera, Leong Chia Inn, Ankur Barua, 2015, JCPSP (Accepted for publication). ISI journal
- Exploring the Effect of Backwash in First Year Medical Students and Comparison with their Academic Performances. Afshan Sumera, Ankur Barua, Amutha Navamoney. Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences, 2015, (174): 491–495. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1877042815007442
- Beta-thalassemia and molecular chaperones. Afshan Sumera, Ammu Radhakrishnan, Abdul Aziz Baba, Elizabeth George. Blood Cells, Molecules and Diseases 54 (2015) 348–352 (doi:10.1016/j.bcmd.2015.01.008)
- Large group teaching, an effective and efficient teaching methodology. Afshan Sumera. Journal of Asian Scientific Research, 2014, 4(1): 1-5.
- Sumera A, Ahmed S, Adnan SM, Khanani R (2012) Evaluation of NESTROFT as Marker of Differentiation between ?- Thalassemia Trait & Iron Deficiency Anemia. International Journal of Collaborative Research on Internal Medicine & Public Health, 4 (8): 1560-6