August 29, 2017 Cheong Lieng, Teng
Education and Training
|Master of Family Medicine||1990-1994|
|MBBS||University of Malaya||1987|
- Evidence-based practice
- Primary care research
- Guideline implementation
IMU Research Grants:
- URTISTUDY-2. The effectiveness of academic detailing plus individualized feedback on prescribing behaviour of primary care practitioners. 2001. [IMU003/2000. RM10,000]
- SIMS: How medical students seek medical information: a qualitative study. Co-investigators: Ng Chirk Jenn, Leong Kwok Chi. 2003. [IMU048/2004]
- Gender and ethnic differences in pain threshold among IMU medical students. Funded by IMU. (IMU047/2004, RM1000)
- SMS reminder to reduce non-attendance in general practice follow-up. Co-investigator. Completed Jan 2006. (Chief Investigator: Leong Kwok Chi, IMU087/2005, RM10,000)
- Prevalence of sleepiness and effects of caffeine on sleepiness amongst IMU medical students. Chief Investigator. Completed May 2006 (IMU090/2005, RM10,000)
- Are diabetes patients attending urban government health clinics ready for self-monitoring of blood glucose? Co-investigator (Chief Investigator: Mastura Ismail, IMU107/2006)
- Prevalence and characteristics of insomnia and its impact on daily function amongst Malaysian primary care patients. (Chief Investigator: Zailinawati Abu Hassan, IMU098/2005)
- The change in knowledge and skills in Evidence Based Medicine for undergraduate students following a structured teaching programme. Principal-investigator Dr Lai Nai Ming). IMU 110/2006, amount funded: RM 500
- Knowledge and usage of dietary supplements amongst health sciences students. Funded by IMU, 2007-2008 (IMU 147/07, RM1000)
- Effect of self-monitoring of blood glucose (SMBG) in type 2 diabetes mellitus in the primary care setting. Funded by IMU, 2007-2008 (IMU 148/2007, RM10,000)
- Antibiotic Therapy and URTl Outcome: A Cohort Study. A/P Dr Teng Cheong Lieng (IMU); Benny Efendie (IMU); Dr Tey Kim Kuan (IMU); Dr Richard Keah (GP, Muar Johor); Christine Kennedy (Uni of Monash, M'sia); Bong Yee Kar (71h Sem, IMU Clinical School Student); Lee We; Han (fhSe m, /MU Clinical School Student); Anuja a/p Kunjumman (fhSe m, IMU Clinical School Student); Shafiq Ali bin Jamaleddin Surani (fh e m, IMU Clinical School Student); Sarghunan a// Pasupathi (BPharrn Student, IMU); Selvakumari a/p Selvadurai (BPharrn Student, IMU); Rafidah Barveen bt Abdul Wahith (BPharm Student, IMU). Grant Amount: RM17,420 (IMU) BPharm B01/05-Res(026)2008.
- Tee Kwee Shien. Characteristics of patients who obtain their asthma medications from community pharmacies. IMU BPharm Research Project, 2009 [Co-supervised with Benny Efendie, A/Prof Dr Chua Siew Siang, Dr Tey Kim Kuan]
- Chang King Cheong [B0607006]. Perceptions and expectations of Malaysian medical students on the roles of pharmacist in patient care. IMU BPharm Research Project, 2009 [Co-supervised with Benny Efendie, A/Prof Dr Chua Siew Siang, Dr Tey Kim Kuan]
- Prevalence of white coat hypertension in a Malaysian community. 2012. Funded by International Medical University. Principal Investigator: Dr Verna Lee. IMU 248/2012
- Prevalence of Pteropus othoreovirus in patients with influenza-like illness. Principal Investigator: Dr Kenny Voon Gah Leong, Other investigators: Tan Yeh Fong (BMedSc student), CL Teng. IMU NMRR Research ID: 12222.
- Effectiveness of antibiotics for community acquired, uncomplicated urinary tract infections in women: a cohort study. B Med Sc Research Student: Wong Kar Mun. Principal Supervisor: CL Teng. Co-supervisors: Dr Priyadarshi Soumyaranjan Sahu, Prof Dr Kwa Siew Kim, Kavitha Mohandas. Project ID No: BMS I01/2013(03). Grant amount: RM20,000
- Does a single cup of caffeinated drink significantly increase blood pressure in young adults? Medical undergraduate research project. Principal investigator: CL Teng. Semester 6 student researchers: Lim Wee Yang, Chua Chen Zhi, Kenny Lin Tze Hoe, Yeoh Jie Cong, Richard Teo Soon Kiat. Project ID No: CSc/Sem6(23)2013. Grant amount: RM500
Other Research Grants:
- Bibliography of Primary Care Research in Malaysia. Funded by University of Malaya Fundamental Fund. Co-investigators: Assoc Prof Khoo Ee Ming, Dr Ng Chirk Jenn, Dr Safurah bt Jaafar. 2003 [RM30,000]
- To compare public and private sector involvement in delivery of health care. Principal Investigator: Dr Nordin Salleh, Institute of Health Systems Research. Co-investigator: CL Teng, and others. Funded by Ministry of Health, 2007-2009. NMRR-07-815-543
- Community-based multiple risk factors intervention strategy to prevent cardiovascular and chronic kidney diseases [CORFIS]. Protocol Number CT07-02. NMRR ID Number 447. Funded by Ministry of Health. Principal Investigators: Dato’ Prof Zaki Morad MT, Lim TO. 2007-2012
- Patient-adjusted versus physician-adjusted insulin dosing for type 2 diabetes mellitus. Cochrane Review (proposal). Principal investigator: Prof Ng CJ (University of Malaya). 2013. Co-investigator: CL Teng
- A Survey to Assess the Professional Performance of Medical Officers in Non-Specialist Government Hospitals and Health Clinics in Penang. Co-investigator of Dato Dr Ong Loke Meng. NMRR-13-137-15085. Funded by Ministry of Health, Malaysia.
- 1. An open-labelled comparative trial of azithromycin and clarithromycin for community-acquired pneumonia. Co-investigator of A/Prof CK Liam, University of Malaya, 1996. Sponsored by Pfizer.
- 2. Inhaled Steroid As Regular Therapy in Asthma (START study 1997-2002). Co-investigator of Prof CK Liam, University Hospital Kuala Lumpur. Sponsored by AstraZeneca. Publication: Pauwels RA, Pedersen S, Busse WW, Tan WC, Chen YZ, Ohlsson SV, Ullman A, Lamm CJ, O'Byrne PM, START Investigators Group. Early intervention with budesonide in mild persistent asthma: a randomised, double-blind trial. Lancet. 2003 Mar 29;361(9363):1071-6
- 3. A multicenter, open-label study to evaluate the safety, tolerability and efficacy of eleptriptan 40 mg for the treatment of migraine (with or without aura) in subjects unsuccessfully treated with NSAIDs. Co-investigator of Prof YC Chia. Sponsored by Pfizer. 2001.
- 4. SPAN: Study of Paracetamol and other analgesics agents. Co-investigator of Prof YC Chia. Sponsored by Glaxo-Smithkline. 2003. SPAN-1: Survey of analgesic prescribing pattern among primary care doctors. SPAN-2: Pattern of painkiller use in the community. SPAN-3: Home management of febrile children. SPAN-4: Analgesic poisoning. SPAN-5: Osteoarthritis study in primary care. 2003.
- 5. Clinical utility of amlodipine/atorvastatin to improve concomitant cardiovascular risk factors of hypertension and dyslipidemia (GEMINI-AALA). Chief Investigator for site at KK Ampangan. Sponsored by Pfizer. 2004 (completed 2005).
- 6. A comparative study of inhaled ciclesonide 160 ?g/day vs. budesonide 400 ?g/day in patients with asthma (ALVESCO Study). Co-investigator of Datin Prof Y. C. Chia of UMMC. Sponsored by Altana Pharma. 2004 (completed 2005).
- 7. A Phase III, multicenter, open-label, dose-titrating, 16-week study evaluating the efficacy, tolerability and safety of olmesartan medoximil 20 mg and 40 mg alone or in combination with 12.5 mg to 25 mg of hydrochlorothiazide in subjects with mild to moderate essential hypertension (OSCAR Study). Chief Investigator for site at KK Seremban. Sponsored by Pfizer 2005 (Completed June 2006).
- 8. Title: A cross-sectional study to assess Bordetella pertussis infection among adolescents and adults with prolonged cough in Malaysia, Philippines, Taiwan and Thailand. Protocol No: 115741 (EPI-PERTUSSIS-015 BOD APA). Industry sponsored research (GlaxoSmithKline). Principal Investigator: CL Teng. Co-Investigators: Nor Asiah Hashim, Stanley Chan Chun Wai, Loh Huai Seng. IMU R083/2012. NMRR ID : NMRR-12-427-11917. Grant Amount: RM67,932
- 9. Bibliography of Clinical Research in Malaysia. Contract Research on behalf of Clinical Research Centre, Hospital Kuala Lumpur. Principal Investigator: CL Teng, Co-investigator: Zuhanariah Mohd Nordin. Project ID No: IMU r 125/2013 (Sponsored by CRC, MOH). Grant amount: RM49,800
Supervision of Postgraduates (MSc/PhD)
(Last 5 years – 2012-2017)
- Academy of Family Physician of Malaysia. Advanced Training Programme Batch 1 (2011-2013). Sharifa Shereen, Geetha Parayil, Gnanamalar John, Joshua Wong, Malanashita Ganeson, Marieanne Sundram. Project title: Audit on screening for cardiovascular risk factors in primary care.
- Academy of Family Physician of Malaysia. Advanced Training Programme Batch 2 (2012-2014). P. Athimoolam, Sornavally Athappan, Purrnima, Nor Aszleen bt Md Jadi, Hong Ann Geok. Project title: Prevalence of white coat hypertension in adult primary care attenders
- Academy of Family Physician of Malaysia. Advanced Training Programme Batch 3 (2013-2015). David Netto, Farhana Abdul Khir, Harinderpal Singh, Rohimah Md Yusoff, Sigappi Odaiyappan, Suzana Idrus. Project title: Effectiveness of risk communication about coronary risk score as method of smoking cessation in primary care
- Academy of Family Physician of Malaysia. Advanced Training Programme Batch 3 (2014-2016). Gurpreet Kaur, Raja Kohila, Sazrina Amran, Shangeetha Mahalingam, Sheela Mithra, Mah Way Tern. Project title: Knowledge and attitude on depression among primary care doctors in Malaysia
- Academy of Family Physician of Malaysia. Advanced Training in Family Medicine Batch 5 (2015-2017). Kavindra Narain, Nitahain binti Hashim Kamal, Devindran Pillai, Lura Zaima bt Abdullah. Project title: Knowledge of Asthma and COPD in primary care doctors
- Fellow, Academy of Family Physicians of Malaysia
- Fellow, Academy of Medicine Malaysia (since 2008)
- Fellow, Royal Australian College of General Practitioners
- Life Member, Malaysian Medical Association
- World Organizaiton of Family Doctors (Direct Member)
- Academy of Family Physicians of Malaysia, Honorary MPCRG Research Award
(last 5 years – 2012 -2017)
- Tong SF, Khoo EM, Nordin S, Teng CL, Lee VKM, Zailinawati AH, Chen WS, Mimi O. Process of care and prescribing practices for hypertension in public and private primary care clinics in Malaysia. Asia Pac J Public Health 2012;24(5):764-75 [IF=1.11]
- Lai NM, Teng CL, Nalliah S. Assessing Undergraduate Competence in Evidence-based Medicine: A Preliminary Study on the Correlation between Two Objective Instruments. Education for Health. 2012;25(1):33-9.
- Jahanfar S, Ng CJ, Teng CL. Antibiotics for mastitis in breastfeeding women. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2013;2:CD005458. [an update of previously published Cochrane review] [IF=5.94]
- Low WHH, Seet W, Ramli AS, Ng KK, Jamaiyah H, Dan SP, Teng CL, Lee VKM, Chua SS, Faridah Aryani MY, Karupaiah T, Chee WSS, Goh PP, Zaki M, Lim TO, the CORFIS Study Group. Community-based cardiovascular Risk Factors Intervention Strategies (CORFIS) in managing hypertension: A pragmatic non-randomised controlled trial. Med J Malaysia. 2013;68(2):129-35.
- Mastura I, Teng CL, Mimi O, Ho BK, Zainab K, Ruziaton H. Usage of glucometer is associated with improved glycaemic control in type 2 diabetes mellitus patients in Malaysian public primary care clinics: an open-label, randomised controlled trial. Singapore Med J. 2013;54(7):391-5. [IF=0.73]
- Teng CL, Wong CH. Does negative IgM dengue serology rule out dengue fever in an adult with fever for three days? Malaysian Family Physician 2013;8(3):26-7
- Teng CL. Evidence-based practice in Malaysia: where are we and what more can be done? Malaysian Family Physician. 2013;8(2):2-5
- Teng CL, Zuhanariah MN, Ng CS, et al. Bibliography of clinical research in Malaysia: methods and brief results. Med J Malaysia. 2014;69 Suppl A:4-7
- Teng CL. Antibiotic prescribing for upper respiratory tract infection in the Asia-Pacific region: a brief review. Malaysian Family Physician. 2014;9(2):6-14
- Voon K, Tan YF, Leong PP, Teng CL, Gunnasekaran R, Kamsiah U, Chua KB, Wang LF. Pteropine orthoreovirus infection among out-patients with acute upper respiratory tract infection in Malaysia. J Med Virol 2015 ;87(12):2149-53 [IF=2.347(2014)]
- Lai PSM, Sim SM, Chua SS, Tan CH, Ng CJ, Achike FI, Teng CL. Development and validation of an instrument to assess the prescribing readiness of medical students in Malaysia. BMC Med Educ 2015;15(1):153 [IF=1.22(2014)]
2016 [two publications, not included]