August 29, 2017 Chiew Yen, Wong
Designation/Title : Dr / Lecturer
Department: Division of Applied Biomedical Sciences & Biotechnology, School of Health Sciences
Tel: +603-2731 7566
Fax: +603- 8656 7228
E-mail : WongChiewYen@imu.edu.my
Education and Training
|PhD||University of Malaya||2011|
|BSc (Hons) Biochemistry||University of Malaya||2001|
- Environmental Toxicology
- Global Warming / Climate change
- Oxidative stress response of algae
- Response of microalgae to repeated exposure to glufosinate ammonium at different temperatures. Fundamental Research Grant (FRGS/1/2016/STG03/IMU/03/2), Ministry of Higher Education, 2016 – 2019, RM77,000 (Principle investigator)
- Survival of the Microalgae Pseudokirchneriella subcapitata and Scenedesmus quadricauda following different durations of exposure to the herbicide glufosinate ammonium. International Medical University BMedScience Project, 2016, RM20,000 (Principle investigator)
- Comparing the Growth and Oxidative Stress Response of Acclimated and Unexposed Microalgae to Herbicide. IMU BMedScience Project, RM 20,000.00, 2015. (Principle investigator).
- Combined effects of temperature and ultraviolet radiation (UVR) stress on the growth response and pigmentation of Chlorella isolated from polar and tropical regions. IMU Bachelor of Science (Medical Biotechnology) Project, RM 3000.00, 2015-2016. (Principle investigator)
- Physiological and Genomic Responses of Microalgae to Climate Change Across a Global Gradient. Flagship Project 1 (FP0712E012), Ministry of Science, Technology & Innovation (MOSTI), RM 827,600.00, 2014 – 2017 (Principle investigator)
- Impact of climate change: acclimatization, adaptation and recovery of sea-ice algae in extreme environments. Flagship Project 2 (FP1213E036), Ministry of Science, Technology & Innovation (MOSTI), RM 785,591.00, 2014 – 2017, (Co-investigator)
- Assessment of the Combined Effects of Nutrient Enrichment and Pesticide Toxicity on Various Biomarkers in Microalgae. Fundamental Research Grant (FRGS/2/2014/STWN01/IMU/01/1), Ministry of Higher Education, RM 100,000.00, 2014 – 2017. (Co-investigator)
- Oxidative Stress Response of Freshwater and Marine Microalgae to Pesticide Toxicity at Different Salinities. IMU Bachelor of Science (Medical Biotechnology) Project, RM 3000.00, 2014-2015. (Principle investigator)
- Effect of Repeated Herbicide Exposure on Microalgae Growth and Oxidative Stress Response. IMU BMedScience Project, RM 20,000.00, 2014. (Principle investigator).
- Response of Freshwater and Marine Microalgae to Pesticide Toxicity at Different Salinities (IMU - Bachelor Medical Biotechnology), 2013 – 2014 (Principle researcher).
- Comparison of Transcriptomics Profiling Between Polar and Tropics Microalgae in Response to the Effect of UV Radiation Stress. Universiti Malaya Research Grant (UMRG), 2013 - present, (co-researcher).
- Effect of Increased CO2 and Temperature on Growth, Photosynthesis and Biochemical Composition of Polar Chlorella. Universiti Malaya Research Grant (UMRG), 2010 - 2012, (Principal researcher).
Supervision of Postgraduates (MSc/PhD)
(Last 5 years – 2012 - 2017)
- Yeo Bann Siang, MSc (2017 – present), International Medical University. Response of Microalgae to Repeated Exposure to Glufosinate Ammonium at Different Temperatures
- Chin Yin Yien, PhD (2016 – present), International Medical University – Co-supervisor. Assessment of the combined effects of nutrient enrichment and pesticide toxicity on various biomarkers in microalgae.
- Aniqah, MSc (2015 – present), International Medical University – Co-supervisor. Assessing the effects of UV radiation on cell proliferation, oxidative stress and enzyme activities of algae species from different geographical latitudes.
- Jeannette Lai Wai Shan, MSc (completed), – Co-supervisor Photosynthetic performance and genomic responses of Chlorella sp. to ultraviolet radiation (UVR) stress across a global gradient
- Member of Association of Polar Early Career Scientist, APECS (2011-current)
- Member of Asia-Pacific Society for Applied Phycology (2003 – current)
- Member of National Antarctic Research Center (2011 – current)
- Member of Malaysian Society of Marine Sciences (2002 – 2009)
(last 5 years – 2012 - 2017)
- Poon SW, Lim PE, Phang SM, Wong CY, Pai TW, Chen CM & Yang CH, Liu CC (2017). Transcriptome sequence of an Antarctic microalga, Chlorella sp. (Trebouxiophyceae, Chlorophyta) subjected to short-term ultraviolet radiation stress. Journal of Applied Phycology. DOI: 10.1007/s10811-017-1124-4.
- Wong CY, Teoh ML, Phang SM, Lim PE, Beardall J (2015) Interactive effects of temperature and UV radiation on photosynthesis of Chlorella strains from polar, temperate and tropical environments: Differential impacts on damage and repair. PLoS ONE, 10(10): e0139469. DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0139469. (SCI IF: 3.234).
- Teoh ML, Wong CY & Phang SM (2013). Effect of Increased CO2 and Temperature on Growth, Photosynthesis and Lipid Content of Tropical Algae. Malaysian Journal of Science, 32 (SCS Sp Issue), 85 – 94.