August 28, 2017 Ebenezer, Chitra
Designation/Title : Senior Lecturer / Dr
Department: Applied Biomedical Science and Biotechnology Division,
International Medical University, Kuala Lumpur
Education and Training
|Post-doctoral fellow||NHRI, Taiwan||-|
|M.Sc. (Biotechnology)||TNAU, India||1997|
|Ph.D. (Immunology)||JNU, India||2005||B.Sc. Agri||TNAU, India||1995|
- Cancer Biology
- Molecular Biology
- Sensitivity of normal and cancer human cell lines to chitosan-propolis nanoformulation. . Supervisor IMU. RM 3000
- Evaluation on the effect of Morin on H9C2 cells against oxidative stress and its mechanism of action. Co-supervisor IMU. RM 12000
- Evaluation of effect of pre-treatment and co-administration of ellagic acid against doxorubicin induced toxicity in H9C2 cardiomyoblast cell line. Supervisor IMU. RM 12000
- The effect of propolis on mixed biofilm formation by Staphyllococcus aureus with Staphylococcus epidermidids or Pseudomonas aeruginosa. Supervisor IMU. RM 4500
- Evaluation of the mechanism of action of lactoferricin B peptide in the inhibition of breast cancer. Fundamental Research Grant Scheme (FRGS), Malaysia. Principal Investigator, RM: 165440
- Development of Novel Chitosan-flavonoids (Propolis Ethanolic Extract) Nanoformulations against Enterococcus Faecalis in the root canal using extracted human tooth model. Co-investigator, Elementary Research Grant Scheme, Malaysia. RM: 221000
- Post-translational regulation of glutamine metabolism by acetylases and deacetylases in cancer cells under hypoxic conditions. Fundamental Research Grant Scheme (FRGS), Malaysia. Co-investigator, RM: 151650.
- Effect of madecassoside in reducing oxidative stress and blood glucose and in protecting the ?-cells in streptozotocin-nicotinamide induced diabetes in rats. Fundamental Research Grant Scheme (FRGS), Malaysia. Co-investigator, RM: 135000
Supervision of Postgraduates (MSc/PhD)
- Ong Teik Hwa Development of novel chitosan nanoformulations against biofilm formed by E. faecalis M.Sc. IMU 2014-16
- Indian Immunology Association Member
- ICAR Junior Research Fellowship - M.Sc. (1995-1997)
- National Eligibility Test (NET) for lectureship (1999)
- The Governor’s prize for the best B.Sc. (Ag) student of TNAU (1994)
(last 5 years – 2012 -2017)
- Ong TH, Chitra E, Ramamurthy S, Siddalingam RP, Yuen KH, Ambu SP, Davamani F. Chitosan-propolis nanoparticle formulation demonstrates anti-bacterial activity against Enterococcus faecalis biofilms. PLoS One. 2017 Mar 31;12(3):e0174888.
- Gund R, Balyan R, Ebenezer C, Khalsa JK, Verghese DA, Krishnamurthy T, George A, Bal V, Rath S, Chaudhry A. Modulation of naïve CD8 T cell response features by ligand density, affinity and continued signaling via internalized TCRs. J Immunol. 2017 Mar;198(5):1823-1837.
- Shao HY, Huang JY, Lin YW, Yu SL, Chitra E, Chang CK, Sung WC, Chong P, Chow YH. Depletion of Treg cells leads to moderate B cell antigenicity in RSV infection. Int J Infect Dis. 2015 Dec;41:56-64.
- Yueh-Liang Tsou, Yi-Wen Lin, Hsuen-Wen Chang, Hsiang-Yin Lin, Hsiao-Yun Shao, Shu-Ling Yu, Chia-Chyi Liu, Ebenezer Chitra, Charles Sia, Yen-Hung Chow. Heat Shock protein 90: Role in Enterovirus 71 Entry and Assembly and Potential Target for Therapy. PLoS One 2013; 8(10):e77133. IF: 4.4
- Yi-Wen Lin, Shu-Ling Yu, Hsiao-Yun Shao, Hsiang-Yin Lin, Chia-Chyi Liu, Kuang-Nan Hsiao, Ebenezer Chitra, Tsou YL, Chang HW, Charles Sia, Pele Chong, Yen-Hung Chow. Human SCARB2 Transgenic Mice as an Infectious Animal Model for Enterovirus 71. PLoS One 2013, 8(2):e57591. IF: 4.4
- Yi-Wen Lin, Hsiang-Yin Lin, Yueh-Liang Tsou, Ebenezer Chitra, Kuang-Nan Hsiao, Hsiao-Yun Shao, Chia-Chyi Liu, Charles Sia, Pele Chong, Yen-Hung Chow. Human SCARB2-mediated entry and endocytosis of EV71. PLoS One, 2012, 7(1):e30507. IF: 4.4
- Rupali Gund, Ebenezer Chitra, Krishnamurthy Thyagarajan, Ashutosh Chaudhry, Anna George, Vineeta Bal, and Satyajit Rath. Antigenic ligand density modulates execution of naïve CD8+ T cell response programme. J Immunol. 2012, 188, 110.1 IF: 5.788