August 28, 2017 Fabian Amalraj, Davamani
Designation/Title: Dr / Senior Lecturer
Department: Applied Biomedical Science and Biotechnology Division, International Medical University, Kuala Lumpur
Education and Training
|Post-doctoral fellow||National Science council, Taiwan||-|
|PhD.||Microbiology, IBMS, Univ. of Madras||-|
|MSc.||Life Science, Univ. of Madras||-|
|BSc.||Life Science, Univ. of Madras||-|
- Cell and Molecular biology (Cloning, protein expression and purification, signaling)
- Microbiology (Clinical isolation and related study, antimicrobial testing nano-formulations)
- Microfluidic chip applications for research and diagnosis ( Surface Plasmon based binding assay and diagnostics)
Research projects/grants: (recent 5 years)
- (2015 - 2018) Effect of madecassoside in reducing oxidative stress and blood glucose and in protecting the ?-cells in streptozotocin-nicotinamide induced diabetes in rats. RM 135,000 (Co- Investigator - FRGS)
- (2014 - 2017) Evaluation of the mechanism of action of lactoferricin B peptide in the inhibition of breast cancer. RM 165,440 (Co- Investigator - FRGS)
- (2014 - 2017) Post-translational regulation of glutamine metabolism by acetylases and deacetylases in cancer cells under hypoxic conditions.RM 151,650 (Co- Investigator - FRGS)
- (2014 - 2017) Does sun exposure affect PTH response to serum Vitamin D in Malaysian adults? RM 121,120 (Co- Investigator - FRGS)
- (2014-2018) Biomarkers of polar and lower latitudes microbes in relation to heavy metal stress. RM 819,902 (Co-Investigator - Antarctic Flagship Program)
- (2013-2015) Development of Novel Chitosan-flavonoids(Propolis Ethanolic Extract) Nanoformulations Against Enterococcus faecalis in the Root Canal Using Extracted Human Tooth Model. RM 221,000 (Principal Investigator - ERGS)
Supervision of Postgraduates (MSc/PhD)
(Last 5 years – 2012-2017)
- MSc : 2 (On-going); 8 (graduated)
- PhD : 2 (On-going); 2 (graduated)
- American society of Microbiology (ASM)
- Indian Association of biomedical Scientists (IABMS)
- Indian Association of Microbiologist (IAM)
- School of Health Education (SHE)
- The Lady Tata Memorial Trust – Junior Research Award - 1994
- Council of Scientific and Industrial Research –Senior Research Award 1996
- The Indian Association of Bio- Medical Scientist - Dr. Balakrishnan Memorial Award 1999.
- “Dr. Balakrishnan Memorial Award” for the best research works in Ophthalmology for the year 1999 by The Indian Association of Bio- Medical Scientist, India.
- IMU Biomedical Science best lecturer Award 2014 & 2017
- Ong TH, Chitra E, Ramamurthy S, Siddalingam RP, Yuen KH, Ambu SP, Davamani F. Chitosan-propolis nanoparticle formulation demonstrates anti-bacterial activity against Enterococcus faecalis biofilms. PloS one. 2017 Mar 31;12(3):e0174888.
- Nisha M, Kumarasamy V, Ambu S, Davamani F, Mak JW. Factors Associated with Intestinal Parasite Infections in a Resettled Indigenous Community in Malaysia. International Journal of TROPICAL DISEASE and Health. 2016 Jan. 12(3): 1-7.
- Nisha M, Kumarasamy V, Ambu S, Davamani F, Mak JW. Molecular approach to detect Albendazole resistance in Trichuris trichiura among Orang Asli in Malaysia. International Journal of Infectious Diseases. 2016 Apr 1;45:369.
- Jacob A, Parolia A, Pau A, Davamani F. The effects of Malaysian propolis and Brazilian red propolis on connective tissue fibroblasts in the wound healing process. BMC complementary and alternative medicine. 2015 Aug 25;15(1):294.
- Chua EG, Parolia A, Ahlawat P, Pau A, Davamani F. Antifungal effectiveness of various intracanal medicaments against Candida albicans: an ex-vivo study. BMC oral health. 2014 May 13;14(1):53.
- Rajoo M, Parolia A, Pau A, Davamani F. The Role of Propolis in Inflammation and Orofacial Pain: A Review. Annual Research & Review in Biology. 2014 Feb 15;4(4):651.
- Kang YB, Mallikarjuna PR, Davamani F, Gorajana A, Lim CL, Tan EL. Bioactive molecules: Current trends in discovery, synthesis, delivery and testing. International e-Journal of Science and Medical Education. 2013;7:S32-46.