October 13, 2017 Patricia Kim Chooi, Lim
School of Medicine, and Head Research Lab and Support Services
Institute for Research, Development & Innovation
Acting Associate Dean,
Department: Pathology, School of Medicine,
International Medical University
E-mail : email@example.com
Education and Training
|PhD||University of Malaya,||1992|
|MSc||University of Malaya,||1984|
|Dip. Ed.||University of Malaya,||1977|
|BSc (Hons)||University of Malaya,||1976|
- Tropical Medicine
- Disease biomarkers
- Molecular Biology
- Infectious Diseases
National Research & Development Grants (as Principal Investigator):
- Production of monoclonal anti-bodies against merozoite antigens of Plasmodium falciparum and P.cynomologi, MPKSN (R&D), - RM 19,820 (1984-1985).
- Identification of disease causing vectors by bloodmeal test, MPKSN (R&D)- RM3,000 (1988).
- Studies on monoclonal antibodies produced against P. falciparum and P. cynomologi. MPKSN (R&D) – RM 6,130 (1988).
- Development of ELISA for bloodmeal identification of mosquito vectors, MPKSN (R&D) - RM 50,510 (1989-1990).
- Isolation of clones from local isolates of P.falciparum for biochemical, immunological and drug resistance studies. MPKSN (R&D) – RM107,795 (1989-1991).
- Production and use of DNA probes against P. falciparum and P. cynomologi, IRPA (R&D) – RM 81,000 (1991-1993).
- IMR-JICA Collaborative Project on Tropical Diseases (DNA Sequencing studies on P. vivax mitochondrial genes), JICA Grant- RM 200,000 (1993-1995).
- Studies on protective epitopes and mitochondrial DNA of Plasmodium parasites, IRPA (R&D) – RM 151,750 (1994-1995).
- Rapid detection of mutations in chloroquine and pyrimethamine-resistant Plasmodium falciparum by polymerase chain reaction, IRPA (R&D) – RM 33,500 (1995).
- Molecular approaches to the study of drug-resistant malaria parasites, IRPA (R&D)- RM 90,000 (1996- 1997).
- Regional Collaboration for rapid malaria diagnosis in Southeast Asia and China. (as collaborator), WHO Grant - RM 100,000 (1995-1996).
- Topdown National Biotechnology project “Molecular approaches to the development of biomarkers for disease and disease susceptibility and development of appropriate techniques for diagnosis, Ministry of Science Malaysia (NBD) / IRPA – RM 1,600,000 (1996-2000).
- Development of in vitro molecular assays for screening of antimalarial compounds. IRPA (R&D) – RM 90,000 (1999-2000).
- Topdown National Biotechnology Project ” Molecular Studies on disease biomarkers and pathogenesis of cancer: Colorectal carcinoma as a model”, Ministry of Science Malaysia (NBD) / IRPA, - RM 2,527,575 (2002-2005).
- Prioritised Research project: Mechanism of action of antivirals against nasopharyngeal carcinoma at the molecular level. IRPA (Prioritised Research) – RM 1,000,000 (2003-2007).
- Technofund Project: A multiprong approach for the detection of Salmonella based on novel DNA Sequences. (UM-IMU-MBDR collaboration), (Principle investigator: MBDr), TECHNOFUND Grant , MOSTI – RM 1,600,000 (2007-2010).
- Characterisation of cyst and trophozoite proteins of Acanthamoeba castellani and A. polyphaga isolates by SDS-PAGE and two-dimensional (2-D) gel electrophoresis, IMU Internal grant – RM 20,000 (July 2011-June 2012).
- Determination of heavy metals and fungi associated with raw and commercial edicle bird nests (EBN), IMU internal grant – RM 20,000 (February 2012 – January 2013).
- Molecular detection of dengue virus and Wolbachia in Aedes larvae collected from ovitraps in urban areas in Kuala Lumpur. IMU Internal Grant – RM 20,000 ( August 2013-July 2014). .
- Expression and roles of Interferon Regulatory Factor-5 (IRF5) in dust mite induced asthmatic and non- asthmatic patients – RM 40,000 (August 2013 – September 2015).
- Identification of parasites in soil samples collec ted from Signy Island, Antarctica (polar) and Lang Valley, Malaysia (tropics), IMU Internal grant, December 2015- March 2016 RM 7,500.
- Epidemiology of dengue in Malaysia and he dynamics of dengue-virus-vector interactions, IMU Internal grant, December 2015- May 2018, RM 60,000.
- Influence of dengue awareness on Aedes larvae incidence in childrens’ homes in Kuala Lumpur. IMU Cares Internal Grant, Mar 2016 – Feb 2017. (RM 2143)
- Molecular detection of Zika virus in Aedes aegypti and A. albopictus larvae and adult mosquitoes collected from two localities in the Klang Valley. B MedSc, IMU Internal Grant, (RM 20,000), February 2017 – January 2018
International and National Research and Development Grants (As Collaborator)
- WHO/TDR Grant for 'In vitro cultivation of Brugia malayi and Brugia pahangi' (ID 790015), US$5,000 (1981). PI: Prof Mak Joon Wah
- WHO/VBC Grant for 'Provision of blood meal identification of vectors' - US$5,000 (1987). PI: Prof Mak Joon Wah
- WHO/TDR Grant for 'Testing filaricides against Brugia malayi in leaf-monkeys' - I.D. 87013, US$49,700 (1987-1989). PI: Prof Mak Joon Wah
- WHO/TDR Grant for 'Antifilarial drug testing in vitro and in vivo - I.D.910334, US$20,000 (1992/93). PI: Prof Mak Joon Wah
- Epidemiology of malaria among Orang Asli and rural communities' - RM37,721 (1988-90). PI: Prof Mak Joon Wah
- Development and use of immunodiagnostic tests for parasitic diseases' - RM20,500 (1988). PI: Prof Mak Joon Wah
- Production, characterization and use of Toxocara monoclonal antibodies (R&D IMR 91-23)' - RM 20,500 (1991); RM21,500 (1992); RM21,500 (1993). PI: Prof Mak Joon Wah
- Seroepidemiology and drug sensitivity studies in malaria (R&D IMR 91-26)' - RM20,000 (1991); RM20,00 (1992). PI: Prof Mak Joon Wah
- Production of fusion proteins of Toxocara canis infective larvae and adult worm, primarily as antigen source in the immunodiagnosis of toxocariasis (R&D IMR 91-27) - RM37,150 (1991); RM13,500 (1992). PI: Prof Mak Joon Wah
- Development and use of monoclonal antibodies for parasitic diseases with special emphasis on malaria, filariasis, toxocariasis and toxoplasmosis (National Biotechnology Programme - Sub-programme Medical Biotechnology, B.U.2) - RM58,000 (1991); RM34,568 (1992); RM40,000 (1993); RM60,000 (1994). PI: Prof Mak Joon Wah
- Occurrence of Acanthamoeba spp. and bacterial endosymbionts in dust samples collected from IMU dental clinic, Bukit Jalil cmpus and two other dental clinics in Kuala Lumpur, IMU Internal grant RM20,000, July 2011-June 2012. PI: Assoc Prof Dr. Muneer G. Babar.
- Isolation and identification of mites associated with raw and commercial edible bird nests (EBN), IMU internal grant RM 20,000, February 2012 – January 2013. PI: Dr. Wong Shew Fung (IMU).
- Systemic delivery of siRNA-based therapeutics using functional single wall nanotubes (SWNTs), 2011-2014, MOSTI (NND), RM 329,800. PI: Assoc Prof Leong Chee Onn.
- Characterizing Host Parasite Metabolic Interaction of Toxoplasma gondii infection in murine model: A systems biology approach, September 2012-August 2014. E-Science grant No. 02-02-09-SF0033, RM 234,000. PI: Dr Ivan Yap Kok Seng.
- Production of monoclonal and polyclonal antibodies against surface protein of Salmonella typhi strain Ty2. IMU Internal grant, Nov 2011-Nov 2013, RM 40,000, . PI: Prof Ong Kok Hai.
- Role of biomarker Cytokeratin-18 (CK-18) in severity assessment and stratification of patients with non-alcoholic fatty liver disease IMU Internal Grant, Feb 2013-Jan 2014, RM 20,000, PI: Prof Dato’ Kew Siang Tong
- Rapid identification of new molecular targets for treatment of endometrial cancer. ERGS Grant, May 2013- April 2015, RM 227,000.00, PI: Dr Chan Kok Keong.
- Flagship FP1213E036-Sub-Project 4: Biomarkers of polar and lower latitudes microbes in relation to heavy metal stress, August 2014-July 2016, RM 819,902, PI: Prof Chu Wan Loy,
- Comparison of gut microbiota composition between mice with single and co-infection from Toxoplasma gondii and/or Trypanosoma evansi. IMU Internal Grant, (RM 20,000), November 2014-October 2015; PI: Dr. Chong Chun Wie (IMU).
- FRGS Grant. System biology comparison between mice with single and co-infection from Toxoplasma gondii and/or Trypanosoma evansi. (RM 162,000), October 2015-September 2017. PI: Dr Ivan Yap Kok Seng (IMU)
- FRGS Grant. The influence of Wolbachia on susceptibility to insecticide in Aedes mosquitoes and its underlying mechanism of action, (RM113.000), June 2016 – May 2018. PI: Dr Wong Shew Fung (IMU).
Supervision of Postgraduates (MSc/PhD)
(Last 5 years – 2013-2018)
Voon Yit Nee. Expression and roles of Interferon Regulatory Factor-5 (IRF5) in dust mite induced asthmatic and non-asthmatic patients. Master of Science in Medical and Health Science (by research), IMU, from Sept 2013 –May 2017.
Tan Yuen Fen. Systemic delivery of siRNA-based therapeutics using functionalized single-walled carbon nanotubes (SWNTs). Doctor of Philosophy Science in Medical and Health Science (by research), IMU, from February 2014 – Jan 2019.
Nur Alia Binti Johari. Epidemiology of dengue in Malaysia and the dynamics of dengue virus-vector – host interactions. Doctor of Philosophy Science in Medical and Health Science (by research), IMU, from December 2015- May 2018.
- Malaysian Society of Parasitology & Tropical Medicine – Member
- WHO Fellowship: DNA Sequencing Techniques, University of Edinburgh, UK, May 1988 (1 month).
- WHO Fellowship: Epitope Mapping using synthetic peptides, Chiron Mimotopes, Melbourne, Australia, August-October 1991 (3 months).
- WHO Fellowship: Cloning of drug targets for use in screening antimalarial drugs, University of Cardiff, Wales, October-December 1998 (3 months).
- ITEX Gold Medal Award for invention. A Novel Easy multiplex PCR for Salmonella detection at the 19th International Invention, Innovation, & Technology Exhibition, ITEX 2008, 9-11 May 2008.(Co-researcher).
- Gold Medal for Malaria rapid diagnostic test (Co-inventor). ITEX 2002, Kuala Lumpur.
- Gold Medal Award. Pencipta 2009. ExPlexS-A novel sensitive, easy and rapid mulitplex PCR for Simultaneous detection of Salmonellae at the International Exposition of Research and Invention of Institutions of Higher Learning 2009. KLCC 2-10 October 2009 (organizer MOHE and UM) (Co-researcher).
- Gold Medal Award. UMEXPO 2009. A Novel Sensitive, Easy and Rapid Multiplex PCR for Simultaneous Detection of Salmonellae. (Thong Kwai Lin, Cindy Teh Suan Ju, Chua Kek Heng Patricia Lim Kim Chooi, Ong Kok Hai). Universiti Malaya, 13-15 January, 2009.
- Silver Medal Award. Malaysian Technology Expo 2009. Explex S-A novel, easy and rapid multiplex PCR for Detection of Salmonellae, S. Typhi, S. Paratyphi A. (Thong Kwai Lin, Cindy Teh Shuan Ju, Chua Kek Heng, Patricia Lim Kim Chooi, Ong Kok Hai). 19-21 February, 2009, Putra World Trade Centre, KL.
(last 5 years – 2014 -2019)
- Wong SF, Lim PKC, Mak JW, Ooi SS, Chen DKF. Molecular characterization of culturable bacteria in raw and commercial edible bird nests (EBNs). International Food Research Journal, 2018; 23: 966.
- Tan YF, Lim CY, Chong CW, Lim PKC, Yap IKS, Leong PP, Voon K. Isolation and Quantification of Mimivirus-Like and Marseillevirus-Like Viruses from Soil Samples in an Aboriginal (Orang asli) Village in Peninsular Malaysia. Intervirology 2018; 61(2): 1. DOI: 10.1159/000491602.
- Lim PKC, Lee XC, Mohd Nazmi NMA, Tang YY, Wong SF, Mak JW, Convey P. Parasites in soil samples from Signy Island, Antarctica. Tropical Biomedicine 2018; 35(4): 1007.
- Lim, P.K.C. (2017). Editorial: IeJSME celebrates its 10th Anniversary. International e-Journal of Science, Medicine and Education 11(1): 1
- Teo, C.H.J., Lim, P.K.C., Voon, K., Mak, J.W. (2017). Detection of dengue viruses and Wolbachia in Aedes aegypti and Aedes albopictus larvae from four urban localities in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. Tropical Biomedicine 34(3): 1.
- Wong, S.F., Lim, P.K.C., Mak, J.W., Ooi ,S.S., Chen, D.K.F.(2017). Molecular characterization of culturable bacteria in raw and commercial edible bird nests (EBNs). International Food Research Journal, (in press).
- Kho, M.T., Chong, C.W., Lim, E.S.H., Ismail, N.H., Draper, L.O., Yam, W.K., Lim, P.K.C., Mak, J.W., Ya,p I.K.S. (2016). Systems biology analyses of the dynamic host response to Toxoplasma gondii infection in a murine model. Parasitology Open 2 (e9): 1.
- Lim, P.K.C., Babar, M.G. (2016). Service Learning in Health Professions Education for the 21st Century. International e-Journal of Science, Medicine and Education 10(2): 1.
- Chu, W.L., Tan, E.L., Ambu, S., Leong, C.O., Nadarajah, V.D., Lim, P.K.C., Wong, S.F., Khor, G.L., Menke, J.M., Mak, J.W. (2015). Institute for Research, Development and Innovation (IRDI) of the International Medical University (IMU), Malaysia. In book: The Malaysia-Japan Model on Technology Partnership, pp.387-395. DOI: 10.1007/978-4-431-54439-5_39
- Chen, J.X.J., Wong, S.F., Lim, P.K.C., Mak, J.W. (2015). Culture and molecular identification of fungal contaminants in edible bird nests. Food Additives & Contaminants: Part A •.?DOI: 10.1080/19440049.2015.1101494
- Kew, P.E., Wong, S.F., Ling, S.J., Lim, P.K.C., Mak, J.W. (2015). Isolation and identification of mites associated with raw and commercial farm edible bird nests. Tropical Biomedicine 32(4): 1.
- Lim, P.K.C., Yamasaki, H., Mak, J.W., Wong, S.F., Chong, C.W., Yap, I.K.S., Ambu, S., Kumarasamy, V. (2015). Field evaluation of a rapid diagnostic test to detect antibodies in human toxocariasis. Acta Tropica 148: 32. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.actatropica.2015.04.011
- Chen, J.X.J., Lim, P.K.C., Wong, S.F., Mak, J.W. (2014). Determination of the presence and level of heavy metals and other elements in raw and commercial edible bird nests. Malaysian Journal of Nutrition 20(3): 377.
- Kew, P.E., Wong, S.F., Lim, P.K.C., Mak, J.W. (2014). Structural analysis of raw and commercial farm edible bird nests. Tropical Biomedicine; 3(1): 63.
- Kok,Y.Y., Chu, W.L., Phang, S.M., Shar Mariam, M., Naidu, R., Lai, P.J., Ling, S.N., Mak, J.W., Lim, P.K.C., Balraj, P., Khoo, A.S.B. (2014). Inhibitory activities of microalgal extracts against Epstein-Barr Virus (EBV) antigen expression in lymphoblastoid cells. Archives of Biological Science Belgrade 66 (3): 1009. DOI:10.2298/ABS1403009K.
- Naidu, R., Lim, V.N., Mak, J.W., Moissinac, K., Jamal, A.R.A., Rose, I.M., Gul, Y.G.A., Lim, P.K.C., Tan, G.J.S. (2014). Protein Expression of STAT3, pSTAT3, MMP-7 and VEGF in colorectal adenocarcinoma: An immunohistochemical study. Journal of Cancer Therapy 5: 1175.
- Yap, R.M.D., Lim, P.K.C., Chan, L.L., Wong, S.F., Mak, J.W. (2014). Characterization of cyst and trophozoite proteins of environmental isolates of Acanthamoeba castellani by two-dimensional gel electrophoresis. Southeast Asian Journal of Tropical Medicine and Public Health 45: 249.