October 2, 2018 Prof Vishna Devi Nadarajah
Prof Vishna Devi Nadarajah
BSc (Hons) (Mal), MHPE (Maastricht), PhD (Cambridge)
Pro Vice-Chancellor Education & Institutional Development
Areas of Expertise
Faculty Development, Assessment, Teaching and Learning, Educational Frameworks
- Symposia speaker on faculty development at the 12th APMEC conference and 3rd International Conference on Faculty Development at Singapore, February 2015.
- Workshop trainer for PBL facilitator training and trigger writing at the School of Medicine, MAHSA University and School of Dentistry, SEGi University between January to March 2015.
- Speaker on Outcomes Based Education at the Faculty of Medicine, University of Manipal, India, February 2015.
- Management committee for AMEA and presenter at ANZAHPE-AMEA 2015 Conference, Newcastle Australia, 29th March – 1st April 2015.
- Invited Supervisor for the 1st APME-Net (Asian Pacific Medical Education Network) in Niigata Japan, 24th – 29th July 2015.
- Workshop trainer for Case Based Learning and Trigger Writing at the Department of Oral and Maxilofacial Surgery, Faculty of Dentistry University of Malaya in July 2015 and January 2016.
- Invited Speaker for the South East Asian Dental Education Conference, in Bali Indonesia, 12th – 15th August 2015.
- Invited Speaker for the Symposiums on “The Recent Issues in Medical Education”, UniKL RCMP Main Campus, Ipoh, Perak, August 2015.
- Chairpersons of poster sessions and oral presenter (Tittle: “Developing Problem Based Learning (PBL) facilitation skills through faculty development programmes that incorporate adult learning theoretical frameworks”) at AMEE 2015 Glasgow, 6th – 9th September 2015.
- Workshop trainer for Case-Based Learning at Faculty of Dentistry, SEGi University, October 2015.
- Course Director and Facilitator for the IMU Leadership Course (2013 till present). Since 2015 this course is in Collaboration with ASME (with Professor Judy McKimm as the main facilitator)
- Workshop trainer for Flipped Classroom at the School of Dentistry UiTM, November 2015.
- Symposia Speaker on Commodification of Medical Education at the 13th APMEC at Singapore, January 2016
- Invited to review and advice on the newly developed outcomes-based curriculum at University Muhammadiyah Sumatra Utara, Medan, Indonesia, July 2016.
- Invited Supervisor for the Asia Pacific Research Network Meeting (APME-Net) (3rd Niigaata Meeting) and International Poster Session Judge at the Japan Society for Medical Education meeting in Osaka, Japan, July 2016.
- Workshop facilitator and Symposia speaker on Experiential and Reflective Learning for the SEARAME conference in Yangon Myanmar, November 2016.
- Symposia Speaker on Clinical Learning Experience in Different Worlds: Students' Perception and Performance in Various Healthcare Systems at the 14th APMEC at Singapore, January 2017
- Speaker for i) Symposium on “Transcultural medical education”, ii) “Symposium on International curriculum: why and how” at Medical Education Conference (AMEC), Chulalongkorn University, Bangkok, Thailand, 16 – 20 May 2017
- Speaker on “Tips for educators: Lessons learnt from the development of an online assessment system (OAS) for health professional programmes’ at Conference of Learning, Teaching and Training (COLT), Kuala Lumpur, 22 – 23 May 2017
- Facilitator for workshop on CBL, University Malaya, Kuala Lumpur, 12 July 2017
- Facilitator and resource person for IPE workshop, University of Nursing Yangon, Myanmar, 7 – 9 Aug 2017
- Workshop speaker on “Faculty Development Programmes: Trends, Innovations, Practicalities and Sustainability (TIPS)” at IMU Dental Conference (iDEC 2017), IMU, 23 – 24 Sept 2017
- Invited Speaker for Seminar; Resource management and diversification in Malaysian universities: a discourse, organized by the University of Nottingham Malaysia, 24 Oct 2017
- Resource person and speaker at the Colombo Conference 2017, Sri Lanka, 10 – 11 Nov 2017
- Speaker for the session on Teaching Medicine in the Asian Context (Title: “Are We Different or Similar to the Rest of the World?”), AMEA 2017, Hong Kong, 14 - 16 Dec 2017
- Pre-conference workshop speaker (Title: From Conceptualisation to Implementation: Development of an Online Assessment System), Moderator for Panel Discussion: Gamification in Higher Education - Usefulness and Impact on Learning and Practice, Chief Judge for Free Communications, 15th APMEC 2018, Singapore, 11 – 13 Jan 2018
- Being international is always a good thing”–a multi‐centre interview study on ethics in international medical education. Brouwer, Emmaline, Janneke Frambach, Klara Somodi, Vishna Devi Nadarajah, and Erik Driessen. Medical Education(2020)
- Educating universal professionals or global physicians? A multi-centre study of international medical programmes design. Brouwer, Emmaline, Erik Driessen, Norul Hidayah Mamat, Vishna Devi Nadarajah, Klara Somodi, and Janneke Frambach. Medical teacher (2019): 1-7.
- Validation of a ‘Work Readiness Scale’for health professional (HP) graduates. Syed Aznal, Sharifah Sulaiha, Vishna Devi V. Nadarajah, Siew Kim Kwa, Liang Lin Seow, David WK Chong, Nagashekhara Molugulu, Erwin Jiayuan Khoo, and Pei Sin Keng. Medical Teacher (2019): 1-6.
- Medical students' orientation toward lifelong learning in an outcome-based curriculum and the lessons learnt. Ramamurthy S, Er HM, Devi Nadarajah V, Radhakrishnan AK. Med Teach. 2019 Aug 13:1-6. doi: 10.1080/0142159X.2019.1646894. [Epub ahead of print]
- Lessons Learnt from the Development and Implementation of an Online Assessment System for Medical Science Programmes. Er, H.M., Nadarajah, V.D., Hays, R.B. et al. Med.Sci.Educ. (2019). https://doi.org/10.1007/s40670-019-00802-5
- Twelve tips for enhancing student engagement. Peters H, Zdravkovic M, João Costa M, Celenza A, Ghias K, Klamen D, Mossop L, Rieder M, Devi Nadarajah V, Wangsaturaka D, Wohlin M, Weggemans M. Med Teach. 2019 Jun;41(6):632-637. doi: 10.1080/0142159X.2018.1459530. Epub 2018 Apr 22.
- Building a database for curriculum mapping and analytics. Kang, Y.B and Nadarajah, V.D. MedEdPublish (March 2019). https://doi.org/10.15694/mep.2019.000038.1
- Development and Validation of a Script Concordance Test (SCT) to Evaluate Ethical Reasoning Ability Among First and Fifth Year Students in a Medical School. Pau, A., Thangarajoo, S., Samuel, V.P., Wong, L.C., Wong, P.K., Matizha, P., Nalliah, S., Nadarajah, V.D. J Acad Ethics (2019) 17: 193. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10805-019-09327-3
- Twelve tips for institutional approach to outcome-based education in health professions programmes, Medical Teacher, Hui Meng Er, Vishna Devi Nadarajah, Yu Sui Chen, Snigdha Misra, Joachim Perera, Sneha Ravindranath & Yee Yee Hla (2019) DOI: 10.1080/0142159X.2019.1659942
- Student evaluation of the learning environment in an undergraduate pharmacy programme: Lessons for educators, Medical Teacher. Norul Hidayah Mamat, Vishna Devi Nadarajah, Hui Meng Er, Srinivasan Ramamurthy & Peter Chuen Keat Pook (2019), DOI: 10.1080/0142159X.2019.1654089
- Twelve tips for enhancing student engagement. Harm Peters, Marko Zdravkovic, Manuel João Costa, Tony Celenza, Kulsoom Ghias, Debra Klamen, Liz Mossop, Michael Rieder, Vishna Devi Nadarajah, Danai Wangsaturaka, Martin Wohlin, and Margot Weggemans. Medical Teacher (2018 Apr 22:1-6. doi: 10.1080/0142159X.2018.1459530.)
- Pharmacy Students' Perceptions of Reflective Portfolios, and the Effect of the Portfolio on Students' Deep Information-Processing Skills. Hui Meng Er, Marcus Kuek Jia Ming, Pei Sin Keng, Vishna Devi Nadarajah. American Journal of Pharmacy Education (Accepted March 2018, in press)
- Personal domains assessed in multiple mini interviews (MMIs) for healthcare student selection: a narrative synthesis systematic review. Callwood A, Kotronoulas G, Schneider A, Jeevaratnam K, Lewis L, Nadarajah VD. Nurse Education Today (2018 May;64:56-64. doi: 10.1016/j.nedt.2018.01.016. Epub 2018 Jan 31)
- Development of an Institutional Assessment Framework. Er HM, Nadarajah VD, Radhakrishnan AK. Medical Education (Accepted January 2018. Mar 24. doi: 10.1111/medu.13568) Theme: Really Good Stuff.
- Problem-based Learning , a time to reflect and remediate. Nadarajah VD, Ravindrananth S, Banneheke,H. South East Asian Journal of Medical Education (SEAJME),(Volume 10 Number 2 / 2016).
- PS Wong 1, SS Hasan1, JL Ooi2, LSH Lim3 and VD Nadarajah1 Assessment of attitudes for interprofessional team working and knowledge of health professions competencies for final year health professional students. Published online: 2 January, TAPS 2018, 3(1), 27-37
- Banneheke H, Nadarajah VD, Ramamurthy S, Sumera A, Ravindranath S, Jeevaratnam K, Efendie B, Chellamuthu L, Krishnappa P, Peterson R. Student preparedness characteristics important for clinical learning: perspectives of supervisors from medicine, pharmacy and nursing. BMC Med Educ. 2017 Aug 8;17(1):130. doi: 10.1186/s12909-017-0966-4
- Medical students' epistemological beliefs: Implications for curriculum. D Assenheimer, K Knox, VD Nadarajah, C Zimitat Education for Health 29 (2), 107,2016
- Student’s perception of mind mapping in Problem-based learning. S Ravindranath, WK de Abrew, VD Nadarajah*. J Contemp Med Edu 4 (2), 61, 2016
- Study on impact of open and closed book formative examinations on pharmacy student’s performance, perception and learning approach. Ramamurthy S, Er HM, Pook PCK, Nadarajah VD*. Currents in Pharmacy Teaching and Learning , 8 (3), 364-374, 2015
- The near-peer tutoring programme: embracing the 'doctors-to-teach' philosophy--a comparison of the effects of participation between the senior and junior near-peer tutors. Liew SC, Sow CF, Sidhu J, Nadarajah VD*. Med Educ Online. 2015 Sep 8;20:27959. doi: 10.3402/meo.v20.27959. eCollection 2015
- Implementation of the restaurant-type problem-based learning in a chiropractic program in Malaysia.Win NN, Nadarajah VD*, Win DK. J Educ Eval Health Prof. 2015 May 8. doi: 10.3352/jeehp.2015.12.17.