June 2, 2017 Organisational Structure
Research and Ethics Joint Committee
Evaluates and approves all research proposals for internal and external funding.
Scientific Advisory Board
Consistis of distinguished scientists in the leading fields as well as representatives from the industry, to advise on the research direction of the Institute, in line with its strategies.
To oversee all academic matters related to postgraduate and the Bachelor of Medical Sciences programmes through the School of Postgraduate Studies.
Research and Development Arm
- To drive research activities under the identified thrust areas.
- To manage the resources for research.
- To monitor and evaluate all research activities,including those conducted by undergraduate and postgraduate students.
Commercialisation and Support Arm
- To coordinate the commercialisation of potential research products, findings and services.
- To recommend and provide advice on patenting of research findings, products and processes.
- To liaise with potential industrial partners for contract research.
- To facilitate corporate communication for research to publicise IMU research activities to attract more funding.
- To oversee the online publication of International eJournal of Science, Medicine and Education (IeJSME).
- To provide supporting services such as statistical advice, utilisation of bioinformatics research tools, editing services for publications and grantmanship training,
- To ensure efficient utilisation and proper maintenance of all research facilities and equipment.
- To manage the quality of research through QC, QA and audit (e.g. ISO), and training (GCP course).
- To enhance research culture within IMU.
There are four Centres of Excellence (CoE) based on the identified thrust areas under the R & D Arm:
Centre for Biomolecules and Drug Delivery
The research areas include but not limited to isolation of bioactive molecules, chemical synthesis and lead identification, screening for bioactivity, preclinical drug development and mechanisms of action of drugs.
Centre for Environmental and Population Health
The research areas cover various aspects on environmental and population health, which include water and air pollution, building-related illnesses, toxicology, infectious and noninfectious.
Centre for Cancer and Stem Cell Research
The focus areas of this centre include fundamental cancer biology, molecular cell signaling, cell-based therapy, stem cell biology, biomarkers and drug target discovery.
Centre for Health Professional Education Research
This centre will spearhead research related to health professional education (Medicine, Pharmacy, Dentistry and Health Sciences). The thrust areas include problem based learning, inter professional learning, peer teaching, teaching excellence and scholarship, e-learning and workplace based learning. This centre will be part of the Research and Innovation Cluster of the IMU Centre of Education (ICE).